Tuesday 27 June 2017

Bad luck doesn't make you immune from more bad luck.

You probably already know that.



Before I go on though, let me say upfront that I am perfectly fine - but I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Let that be a reminder to all ladies of a certain age, to take full advantage of the free screening program because that's how I found out. According to the surgeon, they did a mighty job of picking it up as it was quite subtle on the image.

This happened waaaay back in February and although it hasn't been a secret, I haven't exactly been broadcasting it (I am now!) and that's because I know plenty of women who have done it tough - and I appreciate that I'm lucky not to be among them.

And as usual for me, there are some funny aspects to this, starting with the diagnosis.

I'd had my screen and been asked into the hospital for some more tests, including a repeat mammogram, an ultra sound and a biopsy, then asked to return two days later. I was invited into a room with four, very solemn looking people who were all introduced before the doctor broke the news.

It cancer, he said.
Okay, I responded, fairly nonchalantly
You must be shocked, he said
Not really, I replied. I'd pretty much reconciled myself to the possibility.

Here's the thing: In my deep experience dealing with doctors about extremely serious situations, I can reveal that no-one invites you into an office with four people to tell you everything is okey dokey. The gig was already up.

So what's next? I asked.

He explained I'd need a lumpectomy and that there was also some other suspicious looking tissue. If that turned out to be bad, I may need a mastectomy. Given my age, he hastily added, if that did happen, I'd probably also have a reconstruction.

Can I have a tummy tuck at the same time? I asked, seeing a silver lining to this scenario.
He looked at me like I wasn't serious.
I'm serious.
He said something about 'biting off more than you can chew' or words to that effect, but didn't rule it out.

Next stop, the surgeon.

When do you want to schedule surgery? she asked
How long after wards can I row? 
A while. Rowing would be worse than golf.
Hmm. Well, can I put it off until May because I'm going to the World Masters Games.
Let me think about it, she said.

Two days later, I was back. She'd done some homework and consulting with other doctors.
Are you lying awake at night worrying about it? she asked.
No.
Would you regret not having it done sooner if we discover that suspicious tissue is bad and you need a mastectomy?
No, because it's just timing - the outcome is already determined isn't it? 
It is, she confirmed. Well then, I can't see a reason not to delay it.

Yay!

So on and on I rowed until I came back from New Zealand, went to hospital and had the lump out.

The surgeon explained she'd remove the small tumour and pull the remaining tissue back together -"like a slice out of a cake".
Will my boob be perkier after? I asked, hopefully
Noticeably? She hesitated. No. 
Bugger.

The biopsy of the suspicious tissue officially reclassified it as not suspicious. No tummy tuck for me :(

I also need a bout of radiation. We're off on holiday (Mongolia and Bhutan - stay tuned for that adventure!) so there wasn't enough time between surgery and leaving for that  so I'm doing it when I get back. I got four new tattoos today in preparation (just tiny dots).

So, there you have it.

The point of this post is not to garner sympathy - I truly am absolutely fine and lucky it was early, small, contained and slow - but to remind everyone to have your screens because we never know how luck will treat us.

1 comment:

JayBee said...

Be well Sue. JBxxx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...