Tuesday 12 January 2016

Essential Summer Reading

How's your summer reading going?

I've ticked two must-reads off my list so far; my car's manual and Jane Austen's Persuasion.

The first was quite the revelation! I didn't even know I had fog lights, but now, should I ever find myself in fog, I know I have them... and how to switch them on! I've also resolved the pesky issue of a side mirror that's always on the wrong angle - apparently I'd inadvertently set it like that as part of my seating preference. Who'd have thought? Anyway, if you get time, it may not be well crafted and there's certainly no great use of language but reading about all the buttons in your car can turn out to be a pretty good use of reading time.


Just to break things up, I also read Persuasion. Elle's doing English Literature this year so I said I'd read the books too, because as you know, I have an opinion!

The first 20 or so pages were heavy going, I concede, but much like watching a Shakespearean film, after the first bit your brain seems to miraculously adapt and you're away! I actually quite enjoyed it, but not having 'studied' a book since I was at school, it'll be interesting to see if I can answer any questions other than who ended up with who! (It's okay - no spoilers here just in case you're chomping at the bit to read it!)



Next on the list is Richard Flanagan's Wanting. I've only just started and it's already harrowing.


But... I am already feeling very smug as I've spotted the connection! They both have one-word titles. Surely that's it??

3 comments:

JayBee said...

Ha, ha. If only!!!!!!!! A relative( who shall remain nameless) and I did quite well with Year 11 books but now it's on to Stasiland, Death of a Salesman and Medea. happy reading

Mother Who Works said...

I did look the reading lists up and it's interesting to see what's included. Pity Elle doesn't have Burial Rites... I liked that book. MWWx

JayBee said...

Me too, in fact I loved it.

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...