Thursday 30 May 2013

Sweet Corn Salsa Salad

Last month I had a family dinner for 12 where I smoked the chickens on the barbecue rotisserie and they tasted like...chicken. I did post on FB so you may have seen it. I made a little foil pouch, poured in the required Jack Daniels special smoking pellets. I trussed my organic chickens with string and bands the butcher kindly gave me. I oiled, seasoned and sprinkled them with smoked paprika from the fancy spice shop. I got them on the rotisserie of the barbecue. Smoke was billowing. Expectations were high. And they tasted like....chicken. Juicy, yum chicken - but chicken. I could have ducked up to Coles and saved myself the bother.

Organic chickens, ready to smoke 'n roll.


Well never mind that, there were some great, simple salads that made up for the chickeny chicken (as opposed to lip-smacking amazing smokey chicken).

The first was this corn salsa one I threw together. Here are the steps:



  • Loosen the husks on corn cobs (I had six cobs for 12 people) but don't remove. Run under the tap so they get some water in them. Chuck them in the microwave and hit 'Vegetables' or cook for about 5 minutes. When cool, remove the husks and silk
  • Fire up the barbecue and pop the cobs on to char. Rotate regularly - it happens fast and try and keep it even. (It's hard to see in the pic, but the corn is char grilled).
  • Hold the cob at the stalk end with the tip on the chopping board and cut the kernels off. Toss in a bowl.
  • Add a chopped Spanish onion, a diced red capsicum, loads of chopped avocado (there's none in the pic because I forgot it!!!) and loads of fresh coriander.
  • For the dressing I squeezed some limes and added chili. Sprinkle with some sea salt, toss and serve.
There's a couple more which I'll post over the next couple of days, so stay tuned.

Oh - and for those of you who have been worried SICK about my fridge, thank you for your concern and yes, they did give me a new one. Yay!!

2 comments:

JayBee said...

Yum and Yay. Must soon be time for a drink.xx

Mother Who Works said...

I think so JayBee - I'm off to Thailand for wotk on the 12th otherwise July. What do you think? MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...