Wednesday 30 January 2013

The Send Off

Today was the day - hooray! Eleanor is now at Howqua.

I was up at 5.15am making fricking chicken sandwiches, as requested. I sent a text yesterday, 'Brown bread or white? Chives or spring onions?', on my way home from a day of meetings - no reply. I rang and got a sulky 'brown and chives... please.' Yep - that  killed her.

5.45am
Are you taking that nightie?
Yes, why?
There's no name on it. Hand it over and I'll sew one on. (Okay, there may have a few 'for god's sake's in there as well...)

5.55am
Mum, the printers jammed.
What are you printing? You've had weeks!!!! Blah, blah, blah....
Don't worry about it then. (sulk)
Alright, I'll fix it!!!! (Voice raising.)

6.35am. Finally ready and about to leave.
Has that jumper got a name on it??
Yes.... (hesitates)...on the label.
Show me. (It has no label, no name, nothing. Small but forceful yell regarding lying, disorganisation, blah, blah, blah....)

6.40am
I really hope you're going to make the most of this.
God!!!! Do you have to give me a lecture me on my last day?! (Screaming, fake crying, storm out the door to the car.)

Crap. I head to the car and slam the front door. Get to said car... no keys and everyone is here. Oops. We do have a hidden key - that we have nagged Elle for a year to put back as soon as she uses it - she hasn't and it's not there.

She will be on that bus if I have to carry all seven bags and her up there myself!!!

Eventually break a fly wire and squeeze Sass through a window. Get keys, in car, up to bus.

6.50am
Elle bucks up as soon as she sees her friends. They finally get on the bus. Some mums are having an emotional moment.
Let it all out Mum, don't hold back! Elle yells over a crowd.
I am!! I reply, punching the air as promised.

We get back to the car to find it hooked up to a tow truck - we're in a clearway. Generously, the guy unhooks us. Thank Christ. I have a very busy day of meetings - tricky with no car.

I've had about five emails from school already to say they're fine (of course they are!) and I have written and posted Elle a second letter tonight. But I have to admit, there's a real calm over the house tonight and it's not all bad.


8 comments:

WhatJaneSays said...

Oh dear! Can I make one suggestion - permanent marker to write names on clothes. Heaps easier than sewing on tags, can't be cut off and kids can actually do that themselves without too much effort! ;)

SympathetiC said...

Two letters already...hmmm. You're clearly in shock.
After tonight's performance from Lila, I'm petitioning Lauriston to do Howqua at prep.

Mother Who Works said...

I MAY have said that using a permenant marker was both vandalising and.... lazy. But you are right - I just can't let it go. I think my kids were the only ones in creche with a name tag on everything - right down to the last sock!!! (Even dummies...) Sadly, I think that says more about me than anyone else...xx

Mother Who Works said...

Prep sounds like a brilliant idea! Can I just clarify, the other letter was a couple of days ago. They announced to all and sundry that it's great if you can send a letter for when they arrive - like there's no pressure or expectation now you've said that, several times, to the the girls and parents. xx

Fashionista said...

Cash's Woven Names. I was delighted when I could buy them online. BikeBoy is starting year 12, almost 17 years to the day after he started daycare. I have sewn on many name tags over the intervening years for him and The Dancer. And I am smug to report that the only lost item (so far!) was The Dancer's lab coat which, surprise surprise, didn't have a name tag. Name tags justified.

JayBee said...

Aaaah Cash's Woven name tags - I was soooo proud of mine at boarding school so keep it up girl.Permanent markers yell SLACK to me. Those letters too as Elle will remember them into her dotage. My Mum wrote to me EVERY week from the time I went to boarding school at 11 - she did sometimes have to send a stamp to get a reply. Elle will have a ball we know.

Mother Who Works said...

Yep - I agree. I think if you bother to chose and pay for clothes and things, you should at least look after them. Call me old fashioned. MWWxx

Mother Who Works said...

She will JB. And agree with the permenant markers. The school did let us know of a service for sewing on labels - at a dollar each!!! Seriously, I just hand sew either end and it takes a minute - that's $60 an hour.... a new job for me?? MWWxx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...