Sunday 11 September 2011

Dinner Disaster


 We had some friends over for dinner last night. Luckily, close friends we’ve known for years. So after Pilates, netball and shopping, I finally started getting the food ready about 3pm.

Tarts before going into the oven


I made individual tarts for starters РI just used bought butter puff pastry, spread some chunky basil and cashew nut pesto in the bottom, topped with saut̩ed leeks, goats cheese and slices of fig. They're served with a small pile of rocket and a generous squiggle of balsamic vinegar. So far so good.

We have a new barbecue and after weeks of wrong parts, we finally have the rotisserie working. I did some pork last weekend and although a spot charred, I finally adjusted the temperature and the end result was crispy crackling and juicy meat. So I thought I’d repeat it. I had a beautiful rolled, well-scored loin. Hopes were high. I found a Donna Hay recipe and stole the idea to serve it with slices of Stilton and a port and honey sauce. I was also doing creamy mash and dressed radicchio and spinach leaves.

Guests arrive, we’re sipping champagne, I’m arranging oysters and pop the chorizo in the oven – all's going well until Elle (12 year old) races in “Mum, oh my god! There’s smoke pouring out of the barbecue and you should see the meat!’ I sprint out – and she’s right. My pork looks like a charred offering. OMG all right. Bloody hell!!! Seems the aluminum drip trays ignited, causing a small, enclosed inferno, taking the under-hood temperature from 200 to about 800 for only a matter of minutes, but what damaging minutes they were!

Geoff is so distracted by the potential ruination of his new barbecue, he completely forgets about the guests. The paint up the deck pole, which was white, is now black-ish and the paint blistered. ‘Could have been worse,’ I mutter, ‘the deck could have caught fire.’ He heads back to the guests to announce that dinner is pretty much fucked. So helpful.

I get the meat on the metre-long skewer inside, burn my arm in the panic and get the pork off and under foil to ‘rest’ (possibly more like RIP!).  ‘Have another champagne,’ my wise friends advise, ‘and we’ve saved you a couple of oysters too. Relax!’

Tarts eaten (despite a good suggestion that perhaps I could have made them main) I crack off the worse of the charring and carve the meat. Despite its shrunken, possum-caught-in-a-bush-fire appearance, it was surprisingly – no, miraculously -  okay. In fact, my three men-friends all threw their hands up for seconds. Bless!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dinner disaster averted I say! Champagne still flowed, everybody had something to eat, no-one seriously hurt and Geoff can fix paint [ and b-bcue if needed] Cook on you kitchen godess! JB

Mother Who Works said...

Thanks JB! As one friend said, it was certainly a memorable night! Even if it was because I was branding myself on the arm with a searingly hot rotisserie skew. MWWx

Anonymous said...

I for one are so glad to hear someone else has disasters too. Ours was when the man of the house decided to do a Jamie recipe of whole fish wrapped in newspaper and cooked on BBQ. It came inside with flourish to be served at the table from charred newspaper. Unfortunately the newspaper had embers underneath which created a bit of a fire in the dining room ... which created a bit of panic from he who cooked and my beautiful rimu chopping board still has the scars. And amazingly the fish was still lovely but with more of a smoked taste than usual.

Mother Who Works said...

Thanks Anonymous! I guess on the upside the smoke didn't set off the smoke detectors and alarms!! I'm sure there are loads of dinner disasters out there. I've heard of hosts who've become so 'over refreshed' they've basically abandoned the food!! I was extremely tempted to do just that on Saturday. MWWx

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I have done that ... tucked myself off to bed before dessert and left guests to finish preparing that. Was very tired.

Mother Who Works said...

....and emotional Anon 10.48?? I doubt you'd be the first to need a lie down before the night was over! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...