Wednesday 22 September 2010

Why am I working?


Okay – thanks for the feed back on the poll  – but no, I won’t be quitting!

Which brings me to why I work. 

There are several possibilities here, including:
  •              Like most women, I am a bit of a control freak. And at work, when I ask someone to do something, there’s a very good chance it’ll happen. At home, I give it 50:50.
  •             I have opinions and ideas – on pretty much everything – and those opinions need to be heard. My ideas are also my babies. My family does not appreciate my intellect. (In fact, they call me a nerd.)
  •            I like to take amazing holidays with my children and eat at lovely restaurants when I go out with my friends.

Yes, there are plenty of days when I think lunch and tennis would be a great way to spend the day. But the reality is I would be quickly bored. I need only think back to my (shamefully short) maternity leave stints and the banal chat of my gorgeous friends. I love them dearly, but frankly don’t give a fuck about which builder they used on their beach house extension, little Johnny’s brilliant progress in violin and what’s fabulous at the Country Road sale. Ahhhhhhh!! Get me back in a boardroom!

3 comments:

Penny Burke said...

I am SO with you on this one MWW!!!! I don't even LIKE tennis!!!!! But a bit of corporate British Bulldog - now thats fun to watch!

Other MWW said...

Hello... were we separated at birth? I don't want to come across as stalker (a friend of yours sent me a link to your blog, so I'm not) but seriously, you are describing my sentiments on work/life/family/kids/etiquette etc... precisely. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother Who Works said...

Ha ha ha! Perhaps we were! Glad you enjoy it Other MWWs. Please pass the link on to everyone you've ever met - including the odd girl you sat next to in Grade one who smelled funny - it was probably me!!! MWW

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...